Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Appendectomy: the appendix surgery

Base on true story. Originally composed in bahasa by the author RMY: Appendektomi: operasi appendiks / usus buntu , reposted with permission.



Appendix is a small organ (like a worm) attached to the intestine. Until now, the medical scientists do not know the exact function of this small organ, but people can still live without appendix. Appendicitis, the disease of appendix, can burst only less than 24 hours after the acute condition appeared. If the appendicitis burst, it puts a person life in danger; it is like a deadly time bomb! Therefore, the appendectomy is the only way to save someone life from inflammation appendix.

Base on my experience, the symptoms of appendicitis and the appendectomy process are:

SYMPTOMS

  1. Painfully abdomen appears, like gastric problem. This pain can comes and even increasing badly. In the serious condition (it happened to me before the appendectomy May 11, 2007), we cannot do nothing. We cannot walk straight but bending down withhold the pain. Thus, even coughing or sneezing can be painfully to restrain. (I got these symptoms in about 8 months).
  2. High fever, the body temperature in 37-38º C constantly (I was almost 3 months in this condition).
  3. Nauseous and vomiting (a month before the operation I got these conditions).



The Diagnostic:


  • The doctor presses the right part of the stomach to diagnose the pain.
  • Urine, feces and blood tests.
  • Abdomen x-ray test.

Preparation before appendectomy:
  • Fasting a whole day.
  • Coagulate blood test.

APPENDECTOMY
  1. Local anesthetization.
  2. Slice 8 cm horizontally on the right part of the stomach.
  3. The operation takes about 25-30 minutes.
Conditions after the appendectomy:
  • 12 hours after the operation, we can move our body aside as the doctor said. However, on my experience, even after more than 12 hours the operation was done, I could not move at all. The anesthetization affected me strongly.
  • After the first fart, we can drink a little water. In about less than 15 hours after the operation, I finally drank a little water, but only two spoons. Every hour I took three full spoon of water.
  • I was allowed to have a rice powder after 18 hours, but I was full enough after a few spoons.
  • Try to sit on the bed 24 hours after the operation. I barely moved my body even sat, but only laid aside with high pillow.
  • Be cautious of certain drugs causing allergic; it will affects the condition badly. Itching skin or swollen on the eyes and mouth are the examples.
  • Painfully abdomen when coughing or sneezing sometimes happens.
  • Try to stand 36 hours after the operation. We can try to walk, but slowly and gradually.
  • The uncomfortable stomach systemically stops after the release. Thus, drink lots of water.
  • Sometimes, the constipation might happen. Therefore, take many high fiber meals. The pudding or papaya would be better and avoid bananas or apples.
  • After a week, the stitch can be opened but it varies to other person. Wet off from this stitch. My stitch was not dry enough when this article written.
  • Consuming soft and not spicy meal can helps to heal the wound inside quicker.

The customary conditions after the operation:
  • The stiffness and painful on the stitch happens when doing hard physically activities.
  • Often eats meal than lots of food in the regular time.

2 comments:

Fajar Nugraha said...

this is something worth to learn, especially for those who has this symptoms....thanks RMY for your kindness to share this informations

Anonymous said...

Hi RMY, I just had an open appendectomy one week ago. I am still experiencing very bad pain occasionally from the appendix area though it has been removed.I dun feel it is the wound pain. Not sure why, can I ask if u experienced it? My skin are also in extremely dry condition and they are peeling off on my back, leg & hands... do share if u have any solutions to these... thx!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

copyright: My Adventures

Powered by Blogger