Wednesday, August 29, 2007

places I've been visited - part 1

I would like to share pictures about some places that I have been visited in my last two years working overseas, seeing the Caribbean and Alaska. The lack of time mostly – as an employee – bound me not to explore or even went to see the place when the ship docked or anchored, some other reason I did not bring my DSC-H1 Sony semi pro camera to shoot but thanks to my friend for the help with his camera. I hope that these amateur pictures with short explanation base on my own experience at least, can depict the places well. To see more amateur photos or activities, please visit my flickr or slide.

Costa Maya – Mexico

It was a small barren island in Mexico, but the government changed this one into interesting tourism spot in Caribbean, even one of the best favorite places to visit. They built a small quay for cruise ships to dock. This quay detracts the heavy wave that often happens in this tropical area. The place could hold three big cruise ships at once. The Costa Mayan, the origins tribe of Mexico, sells souvenirs like sombrero, traditional meals like nachos, leather boots or jackets etc. They accept US dollars for the trade. Since I do not drink liquors or beers (Corona is Mexican’s famous beer), I usually eat snacks with punch, sodas or pina not colada. The restaurant is arranged to face the sea and the swimming pool, nice spot to have!



Acapulco – Mexico

Typically Mexico, lots of traditional souvenirs and old buildings but clean. The tasty culinary and beverages were memorable. I walked around the downtown to explore and went to the traditional market but too bad I did not take a shot on it. The tourists must take a bus to see the nature. It is very humid, but still nice.




Half Moon Cay – Holland America Line’s private island

It is one of best of the best island to be visited in Caribbean. HAL bought this island and changed it to be a beautiful tourism spot. Its offer a diving leisure - the origin corrals and habitats were astonishing - ; the Para gliding – seeing the island from the kite above – ; swimming on the clear blue sea with white soft sands or just sun bathing; riding the banana boats; riding horses to explore the island; having BBQ on the clearly beaches; swimming with dolphins or ray fish; and a lot more. The ship has to anchor and use lifeboats to take the passengers to the island. Some of the pictures were taken from my friend’s digital pocket camera.


Juneau – Alaska

One of the big cities in Alaska. The ships go to Alaska every summer, nevertheless the air still chill and sometimes freezing, there still be snow on the mountain peak. It offers the natures, habitats and some souvenirs to the tourists. It has wide and long pier to hold more than three big cruise ships to dock at once. The city is very clean, tidy and saves to explore. What a wonderful place to experience. For Asian people, there are many Chinese foods to get and amazingly, it offers cheap electronics gadgets. We, sailors, use to buy electronics or suitcases in Juneau rather than in Caribbean. I joined to the nature tour to see the whales, eagles and walrus by boat. Too bad, my camera could not take the moments very well. It was a challenge to take in a chill open wild area, shaky boat and in a short time. Worst, I ran out of batteries…too bad!



Skagway – Alaska

A small city surrounded by mountains, with clear view and habitats. The railway and station is one of the interesting tourism spots beside the unique souvenir shops. To see the environment, it would be better join the tour with train to explorer how wonderful the scenery of snowing peaks or the nature. I was in my first contract when I went there. Too bad, I did not have a lot time to neither explore the city nor join the train…but truly this one is one of enchanting places I never forget. Regretly, I did not have a record for this place, but my brother has them when we were together in the same ship.

Sitka – Alaska

One of the tourism cities in Alaska will be regret if we miss. With beautiful harbor and scenery to be taken, it gives lot choices to see. The delicious food to taste, clothes and even cheap electronics to buy, unique souvenirs etc. It offers many choices to window-shoppers to satisfy their deeds.



Ketchikan – Alaska

Many salmons swim across in the river in Ketchikan to lay eggs. The beautiful nature, fresh air, culinary variety, unique souvenirs attract the tourists to come. The restaurant at the top edge of the glassy river with hot soup to be served, hmm…so enchanting!



Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay - Alaska

The icing mountains lie in part of Alaska. The ships must slower the speed when entering these areas, because the ice is easy to fall. Scary ice rocks, cold, rough…frozen mountain faces! The Alaska area is a forbidden area for every ship to damp a thing. If it happens, the cruise liner will be fined billions dollars and even to be banned. I did not have time to get my camera in my room when the ship entered the place, so thanks to my friend Harris for his digital camera to take these unforgettable sceneries.



Ponce

I did not know much about this place, because this tourism place was just visited once. I explored the town with my fellows and found the unique. The old buildings, the museum in the center of the city, the central park, the shops cheap-souvenirs etc might interest the tourists. I believe it would be a nice tourism spot to be visited for the next couple of years.



St. Barth

I was astonished by lots of yachts docked in this harbor city. I took many pictures in this spot. The St. Barth’s magazine tells about the natural corals, the culinary to explore and the nice people to be the value of this place. The light tower on the top of the hill describes that this place is very often to visit. The France’s touch cover all over the town. The restaurants, the boutiques, the hotels…so wonderful.



Ocho Rios – Jamaica

Ya Mon! No problem Mon! The slank words commonly heard in this tropical place. The unique souvenirs, the clean beaches, the culinary, clothes and warm people are the offer of this place. Some nice pictures were taken from this place. However, be careful, the origin often sells marijuana to tourists eventhough it is illegal.



St. Kitts

Right in the valley of the greenly mountain, fresh air and wide view of horizon, it offers the nature to see. It has a tourism center to dig out the traditional souvenirs, natures, museums and old buildings to satisfy the curiosities. It was a small and developing city to explore. Still needs a lot of time to be the favor or tourism.






1 comment:

Trinity said...

Salah satu berkat yang indah kalau kita bisa mengunjungi berbagai tempat dan keindahan yang Dia ciptakan. Such a rare experience you have been through!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

copyright: My Adventures

Powered by Blogger